Should We Eat Meat?

I'm a vegetarian, and I adore animals. Recently for one of my university classes, I read a chapter on animal ethics from Peter Singer's Practical Ethics. I thought it was one of the best pieces of writing I've ever read. To read someone so eloquently put what I have never been able to truly reason through was incredible.

A lot of people use reasoning in incredibly hypocritical and convenient ways to avoid accountability and guilt. And most are not even consciously doing so. It is almost like a self-defense mechanism to prevent the incredible guilt that comes from eating living, sentient creatures. For example, one may argue that humans have always eaten meat. But we can live without it. Are we equating ourselves to animals when we turn to historical evolution? Yet many then agree that we are "better than animals". If we're so much better and possess morals, why aren't we using those morals to see that we are needlessly killing living creatures? When you realize and recognize these issues, it is nearly impossible to go back. That has certainly been the case for me.

I became a vegetarian about 4 years ago. I had always wanted to be a vegetarian ever since I found out Lisa Simpson was one. That was when I younger than her (8). I couldn't be vegetarian because I was a swimmer, and I couldn't have dietary restrictions at training camps and the like. After I quit swimming, I realized I could become a vegetarian. Unfortunately, the circumstances under which I went vegetarian was a typical pattern of those suffering from restrictive types of eating disorders. However, I honestly wouldn't change my decision to go vegetarian even if I could go back. Ironically, my restrictive habits made being vegetarian (going completely cold turkey on meat—excuse the poor pun) immensely easy because I had no desire to eat anyway. A part of me is a bit glad because I have heard the transition can be incredibly difficult for some. For me, it was really easy. I didn't have to deal with cravings, and by the time I actually had a desire to eat again, months had passed; I didn't get cravings for meat. The only time I feel cravings is when I am extremely stressed. If anything, it lets me know I need to take a moment.

That aside, the decision itself wasn't a huge deal for me. I needed no convincing. Learning about a lot of these ethical arguments after the fact just makes me feel...happy. Like I'm doing the right thing. But at the same time, it's heartbreaking to be cognizant of these issues and see the majority of people living in denial. There are people who simply cannot reduce their consumption of meat due to health reasons, for instance. That is completely valid. Of course, in the end, these things are the individual's choice—I wouldn't want someone to tell me to stop being vegetarian. (Many people have, actually—not fun or cool.)

However, the reality is that there are a lot of reasons to stop eating animals. It is not for everyone, of course, but considering the ethics is for everyone because every single person has the power to do something to improve the current situation.

Animals are sentient beings, and they suffer. Anyone who has ever accidentally stepped on their pet's paw or something of the sort know that animals can feel pain. With some animals, you can even tell their mood from their facial expressions and body language. They have emotions, and they feel just like humans. Pigs scream when they are killed in slaughterhouses. They scream exactly how a young child would scream if they were being murdered.

Animals are incapable of wishing you ill will. Anyone who has felt the unconditional love of a dog understands this. Animals do not have the same moral compass that humans do—this actually means there is even more reason for humans to "take the high road" to use this privilege of having the capabilities to recognize ethical and unethical actions. Anyone who says that killing animals is ethical is ultimately putting their own taste buds over the actual life of a living, breathing, feeling organism. What sort of mental gymnastics one has to do to achieve that, I do not know.

Now, even if someone agrees that eating animals is unethical, where to go from there? It is not inherently a matter of self control to stop eating meat. It is a lot more complicated than that. For some, certain foods are culturally important or very important personally. There is a myriad of reasons that one cannot cut out meat, and I don't think if there are certain personal reasons, one should force themselves to stop eating meat. In that case, I think it is important to try to eat meat in the most ethical way possible. I don't believe in "humane killing". That's an oxymoron. However, I do admit that there is a large difference between an animal being caged for their entire life in horrible conditions versus living outside in relative freedom.

There are a lot of things to consider when it comes to this topic; it is very complex. To me, though, it's easy. But then again, I'm someone who is willing to shorten my own life it it means another living thing can live longer. I can't imagine a situation that would call for me to sacrifice my life for, say, a cow, but I honestly do not value my own life above another animal's. (Of course, this ignores other variables like those in my life who care about me—that's beside the point for this hypothetical.)

I don't want to push anyone to do anything save for think. And whatever decision that one reaches on their own is what I think would be the right path for them. I am very happy to be vegetarian. I would be vegan if I didn't have personal restrictions. (This is what I mean—these personal reasons exist, and they are valid.)

I just really love animals. I really do. I want them to have good lives, and if that means I don't eat some foods, that's an easy sacrifice for me. But that's not for everyone. All I want is for people to think. Because that will definitely make you realize some things. 

Comments