Why Your Own Opinion Matters The Most

I think there are a lot of reasons you should consider your own opinion to be the most relevant to your own life. This can be applied to a lot of things: your interests, your perception of yourself, and even academics. I'm not trying to say that you shouldn't be receptive to other's opinions, of course, but it's important to consider the value of that opinion. For instance, if someone who is always putting off doing their work suggests that you should do the same while you think you should get some work done, your opinion should be valued more than that other person's. Even in academics, you should be receptive to other's opinions and be respectful, but if you're sure they're full of it, your opinion is still more valuable. Your opinion might be ill-informed, of course, but just because it's not well-developed doesn't mean it doesn't still hold value. It's important to be active no matter what you're doing.

But I don't want to focus on academics today. I want to think about interests and your opinions about yourself. I've talked about this before, but it was only recently that I realized how much the opinions of others had affected my own. I need to find better friends if their negative opinions about my interests made me dislike my own passions. That's just plain stupid. At the end of the day, my own opinion matters the most when it comes to these things.

It's not right to belittle other's tastes, but when they're doing that to you, I think it's reasonable to see where they're coming from. Most often, they are interested in things that give you a little hint as to why they might have said something so negative about your tastes. It should also make you feel more secure in your own passions because that's your business and their business is theirs. If they want to be a nasty person, so be it. Don't let someone's words dissuade you from doing certain things. It's really dumb.

The book Brave New World has been sitting on my bookshelf because I got it after my philosophy professor recommended it. Then, a few people in my life absolutely tore into it saying how horrible of a book it is and all that. I actually let that affect me. That's so stupid. If they want to be intolerant and petty about something like that, that sounds like a them problem.

I've had people criticize books that brought me great comfort through rereading. They made me stop reading them. And this was repeatedly after I told them I liked the books.

Honestly, this just makes me think I need better friends who don't do things like that. If this makes you feel something, maybe you do, too.

Comments